Music Banter - View Single Post - Technic's Corner
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #35 (permalink)
TechnicLePanther
and the livin' is easy...

Rock Survivor Mania

Post-Rock (Cont.)

5. Bark Psychosis - Hex

A bit jazzier, a bit more classical as well. I like a lot of the ideas here, but some of the execution is lackluster. Therefore, I like it more than Explosions in the Sky certainly, but I'm not sure that it's better than Godspeed You! per say.

6. Do Make Say Think - & Yet & Yet

Very low-key, but also more active than many of the other albums. In some places, a bit more electronic and modern as well. Less drone, and more ambient. Almost Neu-ish stuff. Fast-paced drumming, repetitive guitars and bass lines, and various more drony instruments (piano, horns, etc.). Pretty cool, sort of indie. I think I like Godspeed's wildness slightly more than Do Make Say Think's low-keyness. Therefore, Do Make Say Think will be just below Godspeed.

7. Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die

There is a lot of electronic rock in this one, as well as the regular post-rock fare. Some of the tracks even border on total ambience. However, there is also a great deal of traditional jazzier post-rock stuff. It's really soothing and nice, in my opinion. Similarly to Do Make Say Think, I believe their compositional merit is greater than on Lift Your Skinny Fists. However, I do think Tortoise's overall vibe has a tiny advantage, personally, over Do Make Say Think, although I do love both very much. I just wish the title track of TNT was on this one. It's so good.

8. Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden

In general, my opinion of Spirit of Eden is that the first half is an absolute masterpiece, and the second half is a bit of a cool down, but still pretty good. The whole album reminds me of post-Gabriel Genesis, especially the vocals. The organ is the overall mood-setter. Without the ever-hovering chords, this album would not be the same at all. Especially on that final track. The vocal melodies are excellent, the guitar bits are excellent, and the keys, of course, are absolutely spectacular. So how does it compare? Well, in the process of placing it, I've made some revelations. First off, Sigur Ros is not as good as Godspeed, or Tortoise. I will put it above Do Make Say Think, though, I feel like that's just where it belongs. Second, I like Talk Talk's jazz more than Tortoise, but not more than Godspeed. There.

9. Slint - Spiderland

Before I began listening to these albums again, Spiderland was my absolute favorite, hands down. However... Okay, it's still my favorite, hands down. How can you resist that mellow guitar, juxtaposed against the wild grunge-y sections? And topped with the softly spoken vocals, you can have a truly amazing album. This one is pure early 90s gold, straight to the top of the list. For all of the complexity of the others, nothing can beat Slint's raw emotion.

10. A Silver Mt. Zion - He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms...

Probably the most modern classical of the bunch, as many string compositions and droning piano lines take center stage. This is definitely not a classic rock structure, I'll tell you that. For what Zion is, it's quite alright. But when compared even to Explosions in the Sky, it's just not that great.

Here's my final list:

Slint
Mogwai
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Talk Talk
Tortoise
Sigur Ros
Do Make Say Think
Bark Psychosis
Explosions in the Sky
A Silver Mt. Zion

SUGGEST ME AN ALBUM - I'm probably not going to listen to it but I will if you bother me enough.
TechnicLePanther is offline   Reply With Quote