Music Banter - View Single Post - Rush: The mid 80s
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2016, 03:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Interesting

Stones Yes Genesis The Clash

I love all 4 of those bands.

Interesting for me to consider if I prefer their early 80's releases or mid to late 80's

With the Stones I most definitely side with early 80's. I think Tattoo You is very good and Emotional Rescue is great and that last true Rolling Stones classic.

With Yes early 80's is the clear victor with Drama and 90125 easily beating the poop out of Big Generator. And original line-up or no 90125 is a terrific record.

With Genesis you got Duke, Abacab, Genesis-Genesis Vs Invisible Touch. Obviously early 80's again. Those three are all great.

The Clash. The Clash disbanded in 86 but with Sandinista (a contender for my favorite record of all time by any band) and the brilliant London Calling Vs Cut the Crap your hypothesis sits well with me.
Thanks, I like Sandinista album too, it's ranks up there for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
I discovered Rush in '79 when I happened to grab a copy of 2112 and listened to it through a decent pair of headphones at a friends house. From then on I wanted to hear everything they put out. I stopped wanting to after Hold Your Fire. Although it was a decent album, they just started lacking the hard edge they had molded themselves into, and what I considered their best attribute. I'm right about in line with Nea's picks for best consecutive three, but I'd throw in Hemispheres and remove Signals even though it didn't make the cut.
Thanks, I had cousins from the Pittsburgh area that were introduce me to Rush. My cousin were older than me and coming from that area they had a heads up on Rush. They fans longer than anyone I knew. Even though the first time Rush was played on the radio, their first concert was held in Pittsburgh, so it's definitely Rush territory. I got a few albums, but I wouldn't say I was a die-hard fan that needed all their albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Grace Under Pressure is the band's most AOR orientated album but without the ballads or obvious singles. As a huge AOR fan I pretty much love that album. Not much of a fan of Power Windows though.
Sometimes I feel you are doing PR work for you journal by constantly mentioning "AOR" - nothing wrong with that - however the radio format AOR played album tracks. They didn't have to play the "singles," they left that up to Top 40. However bands could crossover like e.g. Queen or The Police. Ballads would be more often found in rotation on Soft Rockon radio format, maybe Top 40 as well. Grace Under Pressure is a good album, but I like Permanent Waves, it was more Proggy plus analog synth of PW vs. new keyboards of the 80s factors of GuP in too.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote