Music Banter - View Single Post - Talk about your instrument/gear!!!
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #757 (permalink)
EPOCH6
V8s & 12 Bars

Recently acquired an absolute stunner.
Behold, the Gibson SG Original II.

Basically a '61 Reissue with a vibrola tremolo added. '57 classic humbuckers (sooooo good, snarl and clarity in spades) and a thin but wide neck (12'' radius). Possibly the most beautiful instrument I've ever played, but holy **** is it ever hard to keep in tune. It may just need a setup as it is a very young instrument, the previous owner had only purchased it fresh off the shelf about a month prior (selling it because he changed his mind and wanted an acoustic instead). I threw a new set of .11s on last week and have been playing hard for at least an hour or two a day and it still hasn't smartened up, barely makes it through a song without a string or two drifting a half step out. I'm hoping it's not just the nature of these classic Gibson tremolos, because I absolutely love them and wouldn't be able to bring myself to swapping it out. On the bright side the pickups sound incredible and it plays very very well. Being a Tele guy most days I was worried about the 12'' radius but it hasn't been very difficult to get the hang of.

Now if only the damn thing would stay in tune, I have a gig on Friday and I was really looking forward to bringing it on stage for the first time but if I can't get it to last at least a song by the end of the week I'm gonna have to leave it on the sidelines until I figure out what the deal is.
There's 3 reason why the Rolling Stones are better. I'm going to list them here. 1. Jimi Hendrix from Rolling Stones was a better guitarist then Jimmy Page 2. The bassist from Rolling Stones isn't dead 3. Rolling Stobes wrote Stairway to Heaven and The Ocean so we all know they are superior here.

Last edited by EPOCH6; 02-16-2016 at 10:31 AM.
EPOCH6 is offline   Reply With Quote