Music Banter - View Single Post - Talk about your instrument/gear!!!
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 10:26 AM   #758 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPOCH6 View Post
Basically a '61 Reissue with a vibrola tremolo added. '57 classic humbuckers (sooooo good, snarl and clarity in spades) and a thin but wide neck (12'' radius). Possibly the most beautiful instrument I've ever played, but holy **** is hard to keep in tune. It may just need a setup as it is a very young instrument, the previous owner had only purchased it fresh off the shelf about a month prior (selling it because he changed his mind and wanted an acoustic instead). I threw a new set of .11s on last week and have been playing hard for at least an hour or two a day and it still hasn't smartened up, barely makes it through a song without a string or two drifting a half step out. I'm hoping it's not just the nature of these classic Gibson tremolos, because I absolutely love them and wouldn't be able to bring myself to swapping it out. On the bright side the pickups sound incredible and it plays very very well. Being a Tele guy most days I was worried about the 12'' radius but it hasn't been very difficult to get the hang of.

Now if only the damn thing would stay in tune, I have a gig on Friday and I was really looking forward to bringing it on stage for the first time but if I can't get it to last at least a song by the end of the week I'm gonna have to leave it on the sidelines until I figure out what the deal is.
If that's a Lyre vibrola, I've read they're hard to keep in tune. That sucks. Maybe give these guys a shout:

Everything SG