Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you religious?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2016, 02:02 PM   #550 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

Read this.

http://www.amazon.com/Case-God-Karen...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

The most detailed and hardest books I've ever tackled, but damn. No-one has ever summed up the most complex subject in the history of mankind better than this.

This book changed my life in that I could finally understand the people who lean on God to live life day to day.

"Armstrong is ambitious. The Case for God is an entire semester at college packed into a single book—a voluminous, dizzying intellectual history. . . . Reading The Case for God, I felt smarter. . . . A stimulating, hopeful work. After I finished it, I felt inspired, I stopped, and I looked up at the stars again. And I wondered what could be." —Susan Jane Gilman, NPR's "All Things Considered"

"Karen Armstrong's book is simply superb. Wide-ranging, detailed, well researched meticulously argued and beautifully written, it is a definitive analysis of the role of religious belief and transcendence in our history and our life." —Dr. Robert Buckman, author of Can We Be Good without God?

"Karen Armstrong, in writing The Case for God, provides the reader with one of the very best theological works of our time. It brings a new understanding to the complex relationship between human existence and the transcendent nature of God. This is a book that is so well researched and so deep with insight and soaring scholarship that only Karen Armstrong could have written it. The Case for God should be required reading for anyone who claims to be a believer, an agnostic or an atheist." —The Right Reverend John Bryson Chane, D.D., Episcopal Bishop of the Diocese of Washington, D.C.

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote