Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds from Innerspace
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016, 06:04 PM   #214 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

Default Merry christmas to me!

I recently got sick and tired of performing my usual type-intensive activities on my tablet or phone. These include drafting long-form articles on Wordpress, notetaking in Google Docs for my music research, task scheduling in Google Keep and Google Calendar, and additional work in Google Sheets. My Nexus 7 tablet has a Bluetooth mini-keyboard case which made these tasks unbearable. The keys were cheap and had poor action, several stopped working, and the 7" layout was far too small for effective typing.

I thought, given my Google-focused activities, that a Chromebook would be a fair solution. $200 for a 11.6" HP Chromebook 11 G4 seemed like a great value. And 99% of my activities are browser-based so Chrome OS would be well-suited to my needs.

I am so glad that I hesitated, because this evening a fellow Linux user chimed in with a solution that instantly vanquished my Chromebook fantasies.

In 55 seconds... you'll probably want one too.

This simple solution is A. slightly more compact than a Chromebook (and fits into my messenger bag), B. costs a tiny fraction of the Chromebook's price tag, C. gives me the full-size keyboard action I'm after, D. vertically cradles my tablet, freeing me of the now-defunct cheap keyboard case... and E. makes more efficient use of my existing tech re-purposing my tablet for article writing / blogging / etc.

BUT WAIT - THERE'S MORE!

Added bonuses include the increased capabilities of my existing tablet over the somewhat limited functionality of a Chromebook, including access to the full Google Play market and my beloved media server app, AND that it transforms my tablet into a convertible with both touchscreen and full-size QWERTY input.

This device will finally grant me the flexibility to do my work anywhere. Whether in bed or at the cafe, I've got everything I need to complete all my crazy projects. (Sennheisers on standby.) My new keyboard is on its way and I feel like a kid at Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote