Music Banter - View Single Post - Forum Member Album Reviews
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2016, 04:40 PM   #202 (permalink)
Mondo Bungle
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene

Daydream Society - Fervor

Avulsion (which for some reason is not recognized as a real word by my browser) was a nice sounding, easy to enjoy display of atmospheric electronica kind of stuff. It was simple and subtle in it's layering of light, lush pads and friendly little notes and melodies. It was predictable... alright that's probably not a good word, that sounds negative... It was, consistent, easy to imagine the way a track would play out. I mean that in a good way, really. Just trying to set up a comparison to Fervor. This album is not entirely different, but still a new animal compared to the last. More unpredictable in nature, utilizing sounds that spring out of left field unexpectedly, but it all comes together perfectly. It is more experimental, with a much wider array of noises that make up a unique musical experience.

This review is from a first-ish impression. I sampled the tracks after downloading and I heard a lot of very attractive drones, melodies, and quirky soundscapes. Today I listened to it in full and enjoyed it as much as I thought I would from those quips. It was engaging from start to finish, so I plan on keeping it for a bit and may do a track by track dissection soon, but for now I'm giving my impression on the whole unit, and I think that would work better honestly. I found it to be a very cohesive piece, each track drifted seamlessly into the next, constantly evolving upon an already established sound yet at the same time changing in tone and feeling quite often.

As I said, this is more experimental than the last album I listened to, and while I enjoyed that a great deal, I found this much more appealing and interesting. There's even a fair amount of noisy influences on display. It reminded me of things like The Jesus and Mary Chain or MBV in the way it combined an entirely accessible and pop-ish sound with dissonant and almost harsh effects. Very full and diverse. It has a somewhat psychedelic, noise pop-esque quality and could easily be enjoyed by casual and experimental music fans alike. It is truly an amazing balance and I'd really like to see it explored further.

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote