Music Banter - View Single Post - Yeah Machine is my name, and hopping on bandwagons is my game!
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #236 (permalink)
grindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine View Post
Kinderalbum

Well I'm honestly going into this blind there is almost no info of this album on rym no one has even rated it, so I have no clue what I'm getting into here.

Track 1 Okay that was just 12 seconds of screaming not rating that

Track 2 Really interesting rhythm with lots of bells and whistles. This is strange, but incredibly dance-able. No clue what they're whisper singing about, not even really sure what language this is in. Alright then, sort of completely broke down Can style right in the middle. Loved this.

Track 3 Has this slithering bassline over free-form noise guitar that I can't get enough of. This is a strange album so far, but not completely inaccessible either. Short one, but quite well done.

Track 4 Another shorter one. I really don't have any complaints with the lengths because if I had to sit through 19 long ass tracks I'd off myself. Trumpet and accordion taking the forefront here. Not too much to say, nice little tune, has some interesting textures in the background.

Track 5 More industrial tone than any of the other tracks so far. The bass player is the best honestly, those basslines keep everything grooving throughout the chaos which is exactly what this album needs to make it great. Is it weird that I'm getting a ton of krautrock influence on this album? That was awesome.

Track 6 Little more sparse than anything else on here. Makes me feel like I'm in a smoky club that's centered right next to a steel factory. Simultaneously cool as hell and unsettling. Got a little bit strange with the weird crying at the end, but my opinion doesn't change.

Track 7 I love love love the off-kilter rhythms all over this thing. Nice female vocals too. A bit more melodic than anything else that's appeared on this album so far. All the playing is top ****ing notch, or at least it seems like it.

Track 8 Guy is singing like he's Tom Waits over here. I like the use of seemingly traditional song structure on this song with these absolutely strange rhythms and chord changes, creates a nice balance between the strange and the normal. Not too often that accordion is the lead instrument on an album.

Track 9 Beautiful strings to start this off. Over that there is some clanging percussion of some kind and a smooth as silk bassline. Love the female vocals on this album as well, very pretty. This is track is just ****ing incredible honestly, not much to it and there doesn't need to be.

Track 10 More toy percussion, accordion, bass, and other various strange instruments. Just basically what is expected of the album at this point. Vocals are great as usual, nice and gravely. The adlibing that the vocalist is doing is giving me quite a laugh, reminds me of some early System of a Down vocal textures that would pop up all around their songs back when they were good.

Track 11 Clanging beat that sounds like they're using metallic poles as percussion instruments, I think it's a nice touch. Love it when they pull out the strings because they're always beautiful; giving some room at the end of this one for a nice little soli from the strings.

Track 12 A march like drive to this. This is probably the most "industrial" track I've heard on here so far. Great brass playing. Wow this is genuinely amazing, a cacophony of percussion and brass with this cartoonish evil laughing over the top of it all.

Track 13 Longest track time, a full 7 minutes. This sounds like the soundtrack to some obscure 90's point and click game with Swans' A Hanging playing in the background. Once again the bass is just ****ing making it for me, everything about it on every track is just perfect. If I ever start a band I'm making sure our bass player does stuff like this.

Track 14 Another female vocal lead track which I love because they usually provide a great contrast to the harder male vocal tracks; much more melodic and traditionally "pretty" music. Nice minor to major key change once the strings come in, absolute bliss for the short time the key change happened.

Track 15
This sounds like someone is about drop some ****ing bars over this, someone call up K-Dot. Damn was not expecting a groove like this anywhere on the album at all, this seriously sounds like this album's attempt at a hip-hop groove with more Wait-esque vocals.

Track 16 Short track, uptempo and noisy as all hell. Strange a lot going on here. Okay some sort of breakdown with these skittering acoustics. Huh, that was weird.

Track 17 Not really sure what to make of this one at all. Okay now settling back into the regular; I say "regular" very liberally. Not too much to say about this one that I haven't said about other tracks already. There is some weird rumbling in the background that sounds like someone being subdued or something.

Track 18 This might be the strangest track so far. It has these wonderful plinking rhythms that seem to go from instrument to instrument with every note of the pattern. There's also Middle Eastern tinged vocals which I'm a big big fan of. More or less just a loop of what I described.

Track 19 Started with these industrial tones before completely moving to different section out of nowhere. Rhythmically this track is incredible, but there hasn't been a ton else going on in the song. Some brass flourishes here and there, but that's about it. I feel like the last track would have been a better closer and this should have been somewhere in the middle, but it's still a damn good track.

Final Verdict: Well **** me that was good, and I mean really good. Incredible actually. I was not expecting to enjoy this, but everything about it: the vocals, the accordion, the ****ing basslines, the toy percussion, the industrial tones. Everything came together perfectly.

8.5-9/10
Super glad to see you liked it that much.
This is pretty unique stuff and I was really unsure how you'd take it, especially since my opinion of it is possibly somewhat "skewed" since I speak the language (it's Russian btw) and am generally more accustomed to eastern european music.
I certainly hardly expected that much love.