Music Banter - View Single Post - HEY NOOBS! Want a band or song recommendation? Don't start a new thread-POST HERE!
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2016, 10:46 PM   #3781 (permalink)
oscillate
Groupie

I'm a rock musician and 23, so I feel like I should be more into "new" bands (i.e. bands that started in the past 2-3 years), but I cannot for the life of me stand most of the stuff I hear floating around YouTube, Soundcloud, Bandcamp, and Facebook.

Maybe some of you can turn me on to some decent stuff.

My go-to artists and influences: Nine Inch Nails, David Bowie, Smashing Pumpkins, The Misfits, Black Flag, Nirvana, The Cure, Foo Fighters (Self-titled, Colour and Shape, Wasting Light), White Stripes/Jack White/Dead Weather, MC5, Neil Young, Pink Floyd, Ramones, Refused, Thursday, The Police, Underoath, XTC, The Clash, The Pixies, The Kinks, Beatles, Ghost, Jackson Browne, AFI, 30 Seconds to Mars (first album), and the occasional guilty pleasure metal band.

I'm not a fan of whatever the whole "indie" scene that's been popular the past few years. Hate that whoa **** too and ****ty four on the floor folk stuff. To each their own, just not my cup of tea. Basically I connect with most stuff that has really solid and emotional songwriting. If it's real, has a great melody and structure, and is arranged beautifully, I dig it. Haven't really been hearing that with many bands that I've heard the last few years, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
oscillate is offline   Reply With Quote