Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do teenager listen to pop music?
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2016, 09:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicLePanther View Post
I disagree with William. Happiness overall has nothing to do with it. For instance, the 4th, 6th and 8th happiest nations, Norway, Finland, and Sweden, also boast the most metal bands per capita, averaging around 40 per every 100,000 people.

I think it's not that they like it because they're teenagers, it's that they like it because it's what they're exposed to. Their parents listen to it on the radio, and therefore they listen to it on the radio. Usually as they get older, they just have more time to discover new music and find their own personal niche. It's just like how older people have a tendency towards doo-wop and rockabilly. This is what they were listening to in their formative years, and therefore it holds a special place in their hearts. Same thing for pretty much everyone on this forum as well.
Hmmm that's an interesting point, but I do think there is a lot of depressive outsiders living in the Nordic states, with ugly zit popping faces lol.

Extensive welfare states aren't a cure all for utopia, in fact I would think that the all American boy who plays on his local football team in an Arizona suburbia is probably happy than the average popular swede teen.

But yes culture tends to play a role, metal appears to be the counter culture of choice in Scandinavia, not so much in America, as it once was decades ago.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote