Music Banter - View Single Post - HEY NOOBS! Want a band or song recommendation? Don't start a new thread-POST HERE!
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016, 09:19 AM   #3788 (permalink)
EvangelionLovr
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
And they lost a lot of what made them special to write music that was merely better than 90% of the hundreds of ****ty bands that sounded just like them. But so long as they've got melodies (and I think you might be mistaking "melody" with "catchy") then who cares if they've become indistinguishable from Killswitch Engage and As I Lay Dying, right?
Hey.

Killswitch rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillate View Post
I'm a rock musician and 23, so I feel like I should be more into "new" bands (i.e. bands that started in the past 2-3 years), but I cannot for the life of me stand most of the stuff I hear floating around YouTube, Soundcloud, Bandcamp, and Facebook.

Maybe some of you can turn me on to some decent stuff.

My go-to artists and influences: Nine Inch Nails, David Bowie, Smashing Pumpkins, The Misfits, Black Flag, Nirvana, The Cure, Foo Fighters (Self-titled, Colour and Shape, Wasting Light), White Stripes/Jack White/Dead Weather, MC5, Neil Young, Pink Floyd, Ramones, Refused, Thursday, The Police, Underoath, XTC, The Clash, The Pixies, The Kinks, Beatles, Ghost, Jackson Browne, AFI, 30 Seconds to Mars (first album), and the occasional guilty pleasure metal band.

I'm not a fan of whatever the whole "indie" scene that's been popular the past few years. Hate that whoa **** too and ****ty four on the floor folk stuff. To each their own, just not my cup of tea. Basically I connect with most stuff that has really solid and emotional songwriting. If it's real, has a great melody and structure, and is arranged beautifully, I dig it. Haven't really been hearing that with many bands that I've heard the last few years, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

I AM into that Indie/Folk scene (for the most part, love the simplicity and songwriting) but check out Wolfmother (if you haven't already) and Beware of Darkness. Royal Blood is good too, but they might not be your cup of tea.

I'm guessing The Strokes, The Kooks and The Arctic Monkeys are too "indie" for you?

Also Dead Poetic. Though they're not "new" and they broke up years ago, they're a great band with every album having a completely different sound, yet all are amazing in their own way. First album sounds like Nirvana meets Underoath, second album is like early 30 Seconds to Mars and their last album is their most experimental but it works.
EvangelionLovr is offline   Reply With Quote