Music Banter - View Single Post - Is the pop punk culture slowly dieing out
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
waterbearflying
Groupie

I mean, a lot of people I know in real life listen to pop punk, so bands like Fall Out Boy and such aren't going anywhere.

But to be honest, I think scenes in general are kind of dead. Yeah, I know it's a cliche, but I live in a large and diverse city, so I should be seeing punks and goths every time I walk outside. But it's actually pretty rare--no, extremely rare. A google search tells me that clubs and festivals are out there, but there are always and will always be a few hardcore enthusiasts.

I listen to a lot of postpunk, probably more than I do actual punk, so I'm no elitist, but I've noticed that, in comparison to genres like emo or goth, where except for some nerds no one has any idea what really it is, the average person just doesn't care about punk anymore. It's moment of fame and relevance came and went.

I think that the new trend we'll be seeing is a slow death of subcultures, in the sense of something rebellious youngsters join. I'm very much an outsider to this whole thing (remember what I said about not seeing any punks around?) but it seems like punk enthusiasts aren't dressing up and showing their subculture stripes, just quietly listening to the music. With the internet, you can listen to anything you want to with ease, so people are having more diverse tastes.

The scene will never truly die, but people aren't wearing massive amounts of safety pins anymore.
waterbearflying is offline   Reply With Quote