Music Banter - View Single Post - Mini-Review The Song Above You
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 09:33 PM   #2084 (permalink)
Aux-In
Wrinkled Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicLePanther View Post
Well, that was a novelty. I couldn't figure out if it was more synthpop or sound collage. Weird. 6/10

Here's a cool modern synthpop song. This girl pretty much does everything herself, album art, production, songwriting, performances, music videos, etc.
The structure of the melody seems to go in the right direction, but the vocals waft unnecessarily in the background, even if that's probably by design. That is to say, the vocals were too separated from the back-beat for my tastes. The result of this is that the track is "airy." However, it's not as formulaic as I would've assumed otherwise; there's enough experimentation in the track to prevent it.

Upon first listen and viewing, the lyrics "see you on a dark night" are all that I took away from it, and I would need to investigate the lyrics further in order to pull out different concepts from the song. And visually, the clothing and the boombox are updated, but that, coupled with her hair and some of the participants' flat-billed hats, make things come off like recycled themes from the '80s. Not all of the video does, just some core elements here and there. This is something where I wish the younger generation would form more of their own identity. But maybe I'm gettin' old and can no longer define where decadel (sic) styles are blending anymore. If the kids are still carrying around boomboxes like that, then I take it all back.

Overall, I'll say 6/10, but with repeated listens, so as to get used to it, I can see it going as high as an 8/10. And I know this, because at the end of this sentence, I can still hear the hook "see you on a daaaaaaaaiiark night" in my head.

---

Hyper - "Cascade"

"All over a bowl of bitter beans."

Last edited by Aux-In; 03-08-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Aux-In is offline   Reply With Quote