Music Banter - View Single Post - The Republican Primaries
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #147 (permalink)
Psy-Fi
Aficionado of Fine Filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I'm usually the first one laughing at people who bring up the Nazis and pointing out the same thing. However, we don't want to be so embarrassed of the potential of appearing sophomoric that we become afraid to point out parallels to Nazism and fascism when THEY REALLY EXIST. Otherwise there's no point in having learned that history.

Anne Frank's step sister who survived Auschwitz has pointed out that Trump is acting like Hitler did in his early rise to power. I doubt she makes this statement lightly. Former Mexican President Vicente Fox also said Trump reminds him of Hitler. That's a recent head of state from one of the largest democracies in the world! In my opinion, comparing Trump to Hitler doesn't indicate a lack of advanced reasoning but refusing to say it out of fear of being ridiculed by people who think they're clever because they're familiar with Godwin's Law does.
I think that comparing politicians to Hitler has been so overused for so long it became trite a long time ago. I've seen and heard politicians of all stripes compared to Hitler; Ronald Reagan, George W. Bush, Angela Merkel, Vladimir Putin, Barack Obama, Richard Nixon, Lyndon Johnson and many more. It can apply to any politician if the person making the comparison has an ideological axe to grind with that particular politician and wants to use something their opponent said or proposed or did that they dislike or disagree with and want to link with Hitler or Nazism.

I imagine that if Trump had done poorly and dropped to the back of the pack and Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz or John Kasich was the front-runner, there would also be similar comparisons being made about whichever one of them was leading.

I wouldn't even be terribly surprised if I hear about Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton being compared to Hitler by some of their critics and enemies.

It's all in the political eye of the beholder.

She's a Brick House
Psy-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote