Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 07:58 AM   #8315 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Aw ****, son. I got StarCraft 1/Broodwar a little while back, but haven't been playing it since my resolution makes it so that the game only plays in a small square at the top left corner of the screen. It didn't make the game unplayable, but it was incredibly annoying and made the mini-map kind of useless (especially whenever I would have gotten to missions on bigger maps).

There was no option in my display menu to go below 1024x768 (SC's native is 640x480) and any fix I tried had no effect, but I've finally figured out how to set a custom resolution that goes down to 800x600. There are black bars on the sides of the screen, but the game is otherwise now fullscreen, and I assume that it being from 1998, that my laptop screen is wider than SC was meant to be displayed, so it would have to stretch to reach true fullscreen anyway. So I am now happy as a bug in a rug filled with many, slutty, female bugs.

The graphics are primitive, the unit-pathing horrendous (I tried sending some SCVs to one part of the map, and they proceeded to head in the opposite direction, toward enemy territory, regardless of the fact that there was no path to their objective from their wayward course), being only able to command twelve units at a time is a pain in the ass, getting your workers to efficiently mine requires far more tedious micro-managing than in SC2, and did I mention that the unit-pathing is horrendous? (Seriously, trying to send even a small force up a narrow ramp is like herding cats, especially if the units in front have to stop to attack something).

But I am stoked to be playing a game that seems to be universally regarded as superior to its sequel. I think nostalgia colors a lot of old school SC veterans' views that the mechanics of the original are better than SC2 (and I suspect elitism plays a large role as well, since it is definitely more difficult to do basic things), but I'm curious if the claims are true that the races were more balanced and the units just better overall.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote