Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rock Album Survivor Reviews Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2016, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

Default The Rock Album Survivor Reviews Thread

I'll be reviewing stuff I need to listen to from the Rock Album Survivor. Feel free to critique my reviews if they aren't good.

First, New Wave by The Auteurs (for Britpop)

Release date: 1993
Styles: Britpop, Indie Pop

From the opening track, I knew what my opinion would be. It's a good album that's worth buying, but it's not as impressive as most albums in the britpop round. Every song on the has the potential to be a hit, because each song shows a little creativity. I mean, they're mostly nice little jingles that one can kick back and enjoy with a cup of coffee and a slice of cake. Good enough vocals for the job, decent lyrics. It's generally a good album. But it's chance for perfection is tainted by many things: an inconsistent flow, an abundant mellow feel, and a lack of rhythm. At the beginning of the album, we had two nice, cute little serenades. But then "American Guitars" came on. And instead of maintaining a feel or promoting a sense of diversity, the album just felt like a different album.

However, the album does have a feel. The feeling isn't the feel of the album, but the feeling one gets from listening to it. It's a soothing album with just a hint of bounciness, a strange kind of fun that only albums like this have. It's not one of the best albums at all, but I felt nice and calm listening to it. The album could've done so much morew with its structure and composition, but they nailed resonance perfectly.

Do I recommend it? For those looking for perfection, no. But for britpop fans, yes I do. Although the songs are simple, they are still enjoyable. There's really nothing wrong with the album in terms of fun and resonance. However, there is so much better britpop, so I'd vote it off the round.

75/100 Voting it off, but worth buying for the soothing feel.

Last edited by JGuy Grungeman; 03-18-2016 at 03:48 PM.
JGuy Grungeman is offline   Reply With Quote