Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rock Album Survivor Reviews Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

Definitely Maye by Oasis
Release date: 1994
Style: Britpop, Alternative Rock

Had to come back and edit this.

Alright, I didn't expect to love the album this much. I knew I'd really like it, though. I'm slowly turning into a britpop guy. And if What's the Story holds up to this, Oasis will be my favorite britpop band (right now it's Blur. Need to hear more Blur as well).

What the world had in the 80's and 90's was alternative rock, which came into mainstream popularity by the early 90's along with many subgenres. Here in America, we had grunge. Yes, the angsty, lazy, raspy, riff heavy awesomeness that went against the rules of society. Britain took a more poppy route and created britpop. And I think Oasis had a much clearer idea about what britpop was and what it should be. In fact, Definitely Maybe is probably the most true-to-britpop album I know of. It is a creative, heart-filled, and super-fun album which I recommend for ANYONE.

The album's only flaw is that the lyrics need some work. Anything else that could be a flaw is saved by the things that the supposed flaw works with. To clarify, one aspect of the album which could seem bad alone is blended very well with another aspect, improving both of them and creating a yin-yang style of music. Basically, everything else fails into place fairly to very well. The aura of the album is made up of many loud guitars playing similar riffs. And even though this makes the album noisier than necessary, the album's creativity with these riffs and catchiness cancels the flaw out. There's a yin and yang for you. Two noisy guitars playing brilliant rhythms while being spot-on with the timing. And the vocals are blended so well with the rhythms that I knew how much heart Oasis put in the album. The drumming isn't spectacular at all, but they are still really nice to listen to because the drumming is combined with the tambourine to create a nice little tune. Yin and yang. Although you won't find a super amazing "When the Levee Breaks" style riff, the drumming/tambourinbe combo has a cheery feel that adds a lot to the music. The baking vocals and production seem like bonuses add more to the album's music and emphasizes the fantastic aura. If fact, the backing vocals feel like a bonus because, even though they are unnecessary in comparison to the rest of the album, they add another flair to it. And even though the album shows little diversity, it never changes it's fantastic aura. It's consistent. And the final grand component of this album is its structure. The songs are perfectly constructed, never showing anything overdone or out of the ordinary. Grand album.

Overall, Oasis' debut deserves to stand the test of time. Heck, even after every copy of Oasis is, like, destroyed by an apocalyptic meteor shower or some junk like that, Oasis' should still be remembered by alternative fans. Maybe not the best album in the world, but one of the best alternative albums. I can hardly imagine What's the Story being better. This is one of my favorite albums.

95/100. Not voting it off until I get to Dog Man Star by Suede.

Best Songs: Supersonic for being more creative than the rest of the album, Cigarettes and Alcohol for it's cool T. Rex "Get It On" aura, Slide Away for being full of heart,

Last edited by JGuy Grungeman; 03-18-2016 at 12:26 PM.
JGuy Grungeman is offline   Reply With Quote