Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds from Innerspace
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #228 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

Default A Matter of Taste

Dear MB readers - I want to pull on your coat a moment.

Someone I know (with whom I have many shared family friends) tagged me in FB in a post celebrating aggro-rockers, Disturbed for their apparently "outstanding" nu-metal cover of "The Sound of Silence". She and her friends praised it as being "vastly superior" to the original.

I felt that I had a responsibility, both as a critic and as a cultural custodian, to inform them, as unpopular as it will surely make me, that they have really ****ty taste in what is quantifiably and objectively a load of dingo's kidneys.

So I did. As expected they all whined about it, one going so far as to say, "I saw S&G perform this live in the 60s, but this new metal cover is so much angrier and that's what the song SHOULD have been."

I'm not going to apologize for being insensitive of their poor taste. I don't set out to be pretentious but this is a really extreme example of bad taste.

What do you think? Should I curb my high horse to spare people with low artistic standards or am I right to call them out for being the bottom of the cultural barrel?

I want to be a likeable and sensitive individual. This just "grinds my gears" and I'm sure I'll face similar situations in the future.

What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote