Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds from Innerspace
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 07:57 PM   #234 (permalink)
Tristan_Geoff
midnite roles around

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post
Dear MB readers - I want to pull on your coat a moment.

Someone I know (with whom I have many shared family friends) tagged me in FB in a post celebrating aggro-rockers, Disturbed for their apparently "outstanding" nu-metal cover of "The Sound of Silence". She and her friends praised it as being "vastly superior" to the original.

I felt that I had a responsibility, both as a critic and as a cultural custodian, to inform them, as unpopular as it will surely make me, that they have really ****ty taste in what is quantifiably and objectively a load of dingo's kidneys.

So I did. As expected they all whined about it, one going so far as to say, "I saw S&G perform this live in the 60s, but this new metal cover is so much angrier and that's what the song SHOULD have been."

I'm not going to apologize for being insensitive of their poor taste. I don't set out to be pretentious but this is a really extreme example of bad taste.

What do you think? Should I curb my high horse to spare people with low artistic standards or am I right to call them out for being the bottom of the cultural barrel?

I want to be a likeable and sensitive individual. This just "grinds my gears" and I'm sure I'll face similar situations in the future.

What do you think?
I think it's just like, their opinion man.

In all seriousness, taste is still objective. I mean sure, I agree with you, but that doesn't make me any more superior. You were fortunate enough to have found yourself in an environment where Disturbed was never really part of your listening reportoire, but these facebook friends you have are probably millennials or gen x'ers, and nu metal was the style embraced by teenagers and young adults of the era. Due to things like nostalgia and fitting in, which are important to all adolescents, they grew up never questioning their taste because they probably don't care. You have to remember, these are casual music fans. We're all full out fanatics. Of course we can't stand Disturbed, we know better. These people could care less if their post-punk listening is up to date or they've dug deep enough into krautrock. That doesn't mean they have bad taste, it means they have no taste. And they don't care.

Of course, correct me if I'm wrong.

Emo/Pop Punk Journal

Techno Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neward Thelman View Post
"SMOKE CRACK MUDA****KKA"

I'll check that dictionary, but in the meantime I'm impressed - as is everyone else in the world - by your eloquence, obvious accomplishments and success, and the evidence of your blazingly high intelligence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
He just doesn't have a mind so closed that it rivals Blockbuster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I own the mail
Tristan_Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote