Music Banter - View Single Post - Metal Album Survivor [1st Wave Black Metal Division]
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2016, 04:16 PM   #2891 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloysius View Post
It was a tough decision - I've been listening to both albums a lot over the past few days. I'd say At The Gates has the more coherent album, but I like the touches of chaotic mania in Heartwork, maybe a remnant of their pathological goregrind past. Also I find Heartwork more interesting throughout - Slaughter of the Soul starts out with some awesome songs but the second half of the album doesn't reach the same heights for me.
I love both albums, but Heartwork just doesn't connect with me on an emotional level. Slaughter of the Soul just has this combination of rage, desperation, and nihilism that is quite possibly unique in extreme metal. Or at least it is unique in that it doesn't feel contrived. It may not be quite as brutal, but it hits far more on an emotional level. Not least because Tomas Lindberg is a brilliant vocalist.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote