Music Banter - View Single Post - Traveling Europe, Need Driving Songs.
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #31 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostasi View Post
Sure, if it's something you really want. I'm not saying tho that you have to like everything.
It's just that you could accept the "invitation" and then, at least, you're in a position of
experience followed by a gently probing analysis of that experience. You could ask yourself
questions about the encounter and see how you can grow from that instead of immediately
rejecting it. (There's a certain amount of impersonal "you" in my comments here).

With the 10-hour YouTube marathons that are out there, I don't have a problem with
the time element - it's the content and intention that I'm usually not interested in.
I can think of a much more creative sound use for a 10-hour listening stretch.

... and there's a heap of good metal out there, but, for me, I have to sift thru a lot
of boring dreck to get to it which is often the result of what happens when so many
try to emulate the fashionable elements of any popular musical or lifestyle form.
^ That's a nice, clear analysis rostasi, and I quite agree. The reason I like your original comment about "sound in and of itself" is because it's a pure, intellectual position that you (impersonal) can aspire to. I was of course rather pulling your leg about the ten-hour marathons, but I thought it amusing to wonder how your ideal might measure up against such an extreme.

Regarding metal, I find it very difficult to listen to, but I'm sure you are right; as with every art form, the occasional excellent example inspires a lot of not-so-good imitators.

PS: Yes, TechniqueLePanther, it's been recommended twice so far. If we were polling votes, it would be the clear winner!