Music Banter - View Single Post - Rock Album Survivor Archives
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2016, 02:44 PM   #77 (permalink)
Tristan_Geoff
midnite roles around

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicLePanther View Post
Sorry for the double post, but came up with a different point.

The point of genres is to classify things that sound similar. It's not so much about elements as it is about the overall aesthetic created. For instance, purely based on the elements, you would never group Days of the New in with Pearl Jam, but the overall aesthetic created is definitely similar. Similar enough to both be in the same genre. The overall aesthetic in a band like Soundgarden or Nirvana could also fit with Pearl Jam, and so it fits into that genre as well. This is really simple, guys, I can't believe we have to take up so many pages with this garbage. Nirvana's the most overrated band of all time anyways.

@Tristan

If you're saying you would group Nirvana, with say, Dead Kennedys, or Sonic Youth, or even with Big Black, I think you should take another listen to the music and notice how dissimilar they sound.
My main point is that the "big 4 of grunge" could be neatly classified into other categories, and at times Nirvana has had a lot of post-hardcore elements. Pearl Jam, AiC, Soundgarden, Nirvana, and even "traditional" grunge artists like Mudhoney have a lot more dissimilarities than they have in common.

Emo/Pop Punk Journal

Techno Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neward Thelman View Post
"SMOKE CRACK MUDA****KKA"

I'll check that dictionary, but in the meantime I'm impressed - as is everyone else in the world - by your eloquence, obvious accomplishments and success, and the evidence of your blazingly high intelligence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
He just doesn't have a mind so closed that it rivals Blockbuster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I own the mail
Tristan_Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote