Music Banter - View Single Post - Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2016, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

Default Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion

Screaming Trees are notable for their light-hearted/mildy psychedelic take on grunge. They've done that since their first releases. Sweet Oblivion is one of the later ones, probably their best one.

What makes Sweet Oblivion so unique is that their Staley style backing vocals and unique guitar sounds clearly make this album grunge, but the sound is combined with the lightly dugged up cheeriness of neo-psychedelia, bringing in a happier vibe than what grunge's scene is known for. Still, Mark Lanegan's vocal style tells you he's been listening to country/folk/americana all his life. In fact, his solo albums are those. As such, his voice shares a sadness with the listener that tells you the band or an individual of it is in some kind of pain despite the happy sound. Sweet Oblivion is the best example of this. The band doesn't try to hide Lanegan's sadness with ubpeat cymbals and tambourines. So Screaming Trees are a pleasant, calm yin and yang. And the lyrical style seems to fit the americana influence on Lanegan. Take the lyrics of Winter's Song.

Dead end street, just out my back door
I heard what's seen, a young girl laughing
Now raindrops fall away like souls
I wondered if she ever heard mine dying

Those would fit a country album, right? And now matter how cheery or upbeat the music gets, the singer is annoyed, angry, and sad. And it all fits so well.

Screaming Trees are rarely different with each album. But Sweet Oblivion is a fine example of the conflict of emotion.

90/100. Almost as good as Nevermind.