Music Banter - View Single Post - Into the Deepest Abysses of Music
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2016, 01:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

Togetherly by Nero's Rome.
Style: Alternative Rock, Grunge.
Release 1995.

Doesn't even have ten votes on RYM.

I found this when I was listening to Dayglo. I wanted something I've never heard of, so I switched to this. I've been steering closer to grunge/post-grunge/alternative lately, so this was exactly what I was looking for.

So, what's the best way to describe the second and final studio album by the underground grunge band Nero's Rome? Well, from the ear's first glance at the sound, one could easily say it's just another alternative rock album, something that won't be very fullfilling to hear. However, is that necessarily bad? Can all generic albums be bad unless it actually sounded good to begin with? And can it stil sound good? Some Foo Fighters albums are simply alternative, and certainly less necessary to listen to than other alternative albums. And personally, I believe this is better than many other plain alternative albums. Nero's Rome had the basic emotions they were going for down on the money in every track. Soft, melodic, and yet creepy vocals sing their way through the loudest and the quietest moments, somehow dissettling me and yet conforting me with the acoustic guitars that played soft lullabies when they weren't heavier tracks. When transitioning from a soft tune to a heavy riff, something most of the songs do, it does a faurly well job of building itself up or down. The drumming is quite creative, balancing out some sense of drama through the release. In fact, the drumming may be the best part of the album. Some of it reminds me of Radiohead's OKC. I'd give the drumming alone around an 8.5. And if the band felt generic, they would use the guitars to make light, unconventional sound effects. An OK little add-on. But what's really cool is the blend of acoustic and electric guitars that occasionally pop up. Really cool sound.

I guess for a sound that many other alternative bands have done before, this band showed that they do in fact have a songwriter's talent if not a sense of diversity. It's a shame when a band doesn't know how to be diverse. If they were a little different, they might have been together long enough to make a third album. Still, they are real musicians. They play their guitars well enough and cool enough to make themselves better than a generic band, their drummer is great, and the vocals are soothing and haunting.

Overall, I'd recommend this for alternative and grunge fans. I'm personally interested in the debut since this one was actually quite good. I'm glad I loved grunge enough to find this album.

83.5/100