Music Banter - View Single Post - The AI Singularity and Transhumanism
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2016, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

Default The AI Singularity and Transhumanism

Yesterday I came across a newly-published 4-minute sci-fi comedy short about a self-aware computer.

It got me curious about subjects like transhumanism (technologically-aided evolution beyond physical and mental limitations) and the singularity (the hypothetical moment in time when AI will surpass human intelligence).

There have been some intriguing developments recently, perhaps most notably Google's $500M acquisition of the British AI start-up DeepMind in 2014, which aims to solve general intelligence (and to utilize this knowledge to solve everything else).

And just 3 days ago PBS aired a short video of Ray Kurzweil pledging that we will likely conquer death in the next 20 years.

I'll be surveying these subjects in the days ahead, beginning with Kurtzwiel's book, The Singularity is Near. I'd welcome any suggestions for related literature or film - speculative fiction and non-fiction alike.

I'd like to explore questions such as,

- What visions of the world, both utopian and dystopian, have been proposed for life after the singularity?

- What existing technological achievements are already blurring the line between man and machine?

- And what are the philosophical, moral, and ethical implications of machine consciousness and eternal (but artificial) life?

I'm going to start with this engaging 2-part article from waithbutwhy.com.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists

Last edited by innerspaceboy; 04-03-2016 at 02:35 PM.
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote