Music Banter - View Single Post - The Byrds
Thread: The Byrds
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 08:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveYourCarDownToTheSea View Post
Though I can't say I've listened to an entire one of their albums (aside from their greatest hits), it was my impression that the band is generally considered to have gone downhill after Crosby left. I think if I were to ever check out entire albums of theirs I would start with their first 3.
Blasphemy!!!

OK it's like two different bands but with the same name. Kinda like the Stones or Genesis after key members left (or in Brian's case was done in by the handyman). It's not that they went downhill they changed their sound from a jangley Folk meats Beat to a more (Acid Folk &) Country oriented sound with Clarence White and his b-bender Telecaster. He is probably one of the more over-looked guitar players out there. Which is a shame for having such talent. By over-looked I mean by the general public, he's more of a musician's musician. Even Jimi Hendrix was a fan of his and I've where Jimi played Clarence's stuff everyday. He is tremendous influence on Country pickers everyone from Albert Lee to Brad Paisley were influence by Clarence White and subsequently the post-Crosby Byrds. Both Tony Rice and Marty Stuart with Clarence's guitars. Tony acquired Clarence's Martin D-28 and Marty is the proud owner of his heavily modified Telecaster. Pet Sounds will be proud to know that Clarence White is of French-Canadian ancestry.

OK it's not a happy-clappy Pop jingle, but I don't see where it went all down hill.
The Byrds, You Ain't Goin' Nowhere ~ This Wheel's On Fire, Los Angeles 9-28-68

Tony is seen here playing on White's Martin D-28. On the album David Grisman plays a Gibson "Loar" F-5 mandolin signed by the man himself Lloyd Alistair Loar. However I do not know what he is playing in the video.
David Grisman Quartet - E.M.D.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 04-04-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote