Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rock Album Survivor Reviews Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

Entertainment by Gang of Four

Style: Post-Punk, Art Punk
Release: 1979
Length: 39 min.
Round: Post-Punk

It's funny. Punk was coming out with so many subgenres very soon after the punk scene started. And in 1979, post-punk was still in the experimental stages. How can I tell? Entertainment is different from most post-punk because of it's lack of multiple emotions. As far as spirit goes, Entertainment seems to go back to the Ramones debut by playing their songs as if they thrived on their anger.

Sure, they have less time and structure restroctions, so they can be grouped with other post-punk bands. But the punk/post-punk vibe was combined with dance-punk and new wave elements to bring about a very "movable/dancable" album, instead of the deep, emotional content more modern post-punk and 80's post-punk are notable for.

As far as songwriting goes, little to no flaws on the structures, good lyrics, decent vocals, great guitars, and it all works so well to create a sound and a name for Gang of Four, as well as lovable songs for any punk lover. It captures the true spirit of punk that the scene was known for, and that overcomes most of the flaws/things that could be better.

95/100 Gonna be staying on that round.

I should focus on rock and roll since that's coming up.

Last edited by JGuy Grungeman; 05-20-2016 at 03:54 PM.
JGuy Grungeman is offline   Reply With Quote