Music Banter - View Single Post - VG Music Production: MIDI Controller, Workstation, Arranger, Synthesizer, or Hybrid?
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lu-Cuss
Music Addict

Okay first off I need to be very blunt with you: If you have absolutely no experience with music production, you're probably not qualified to be making the soundtrack for a game. Visual art and music are too vastly different fields, and your team needs to find someone who knows what they're doing. I'm saying that for your game's sake, not because I want to be rude or discouraging.

That being said however, it couldn't hurt to clear up your misunderstandings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatGameh View Post
Synthesizers, Arrangers,MIDI Controllers, and Workstations.
This is what I think I know about these things:

Synthesizers are sound modifiers, that can be used to modify a sample.
Incorrect. Synthesizers generate sounds through a variety of parameters. They don't modify preexisting ones.
Quote:
Arrangers are MIDI based keyboards that can be used for music production.
I've been making electronic music for 3 years now and I've never heard of an "arranger". Are you talking about a sequencer?

Quote:
MIDI Controllers are inputting devices used to operate music applications.
I'm assuming you're talking about grid controllers such as Ableton's Push, Akai's APC40, or Novation's Launchpad, right?
Quote:
Workstations are all of the above in one, with Christmas lights included.
....what? You mean like this?

Because there's very very few products like that around.

Quote:
I'm leaning towards Arrangers, but seeing that they are independent, I am afraid that the features will get out of date real quick as music producing softwares available in the net are constantly updating.
most softwares used in music production allow you free updates for a certain period of time, usually for 1 whole version cycle (example: If you buy a software that's at version 1.4, you'll get free updates till version 2.4). Even then most updates don't change things drastically, and even if you don't have them, nobody is forcing you to only use the latest updates.
Quote:
If I can use Arrangers as MIDI Controllers too, that can really help future- proof the Arranger.
Actually, there's also lots of sequencers nowadays that also get updates for their internal software via USB connections, so even if you were right, this wouldn't be very helpful for you.
Lu-Cuss is offline   Reply With Quote