Music Banter - View Single Post - Heaviest **** Ever
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2016, 03:20 AM   #30 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
This isn't a comment on anybody's choices but just a comment in general. I think trying too hard to be heavy makes you less genuinely heavy. To be really heavy it has to also be very sincere and deal with difficult but universal themes. Serial killers and Nazism aren't so heavy as general disillusionment and acceptance of death. Music doesn't have to be sincere to be great, however. Most of the best hip hop and metal is in fact very insincere. The heaviest music to me are things like Beethoven's late string quartets and Mozart's Requiem.
I mean, I agree that classical can be heavy. A lot of people say (half-seriously I assume) that if Beethoven was living now he would have been a metalhead, and his 5th Symphony might just be one of the first whispers of metal, but I don't imagine that, even in its wildest interpretations, that it could compete with something like Sunn O))) in the heaviness department.

Sunn O))) might just be the winners, here. I don't know if they would be the heaviest band ever on their own merits, but from what I hear of their speaker setup during their performances, they take volume to a whole 'nother level, that actually can affect people subconsciously. That's pretty ****ing heavy.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote