Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rock Album Survivor Reviews Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2016, 03:16 PM   #44 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

Small Faces by Small Faces

Style: Mod, British Rhythm and Blues
Release: 1966
Length: 33 min.
Round: Rock and Roll

When I saw the genres on RYM labeled "mod" and "British rhythm and blues," I was a little weary because this round is for Rock and Roll, and this may not seem like a rock and roll album. However, I played it just in case I felt like it was a rock and roll album. I can safely say that, although I disagree it's "rock and roll," it offers the same spirit. That could save the album from me voting it off early in the rounds.

Early on, the album is extremely energetic, in fact as energetic as 1966 would allow music to be. This was "heavy mod" music. But what's cool is how this band I have only recently heard of thanks to the rock and roll list is so impressive. I honestly felt like I wanted to dive much deeper into Small Face's discography on the third track. This acts as an early predecessor to hard rock while maintaining rock and roll/mod roots and keeping a slight garage rock feel.

Batlord threatened me by saying "we can't be friends" if either this or Aftermath doesn't knock Elvis off my top choice. I admit it's a fantastic album. Not sure if it's better than Elvis Presley, though. It doesn't have the same heart and soul, but the songwriting is bordering on brilliant. The album has a lot of spirit. And I can say its quality comes really close. Still, I've heard better mod and rhythm & blues. Not much, though.

97. It'll get voted off really late in the round. I'll keep it one because it does havce the same spirit as a rock and roll album, even though I disagree on it being rock and roll.