Music Banter - View Single Post - What determines the songs that people like?
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #24 (permalink)
Aux-In
Wrinkled Magazine

Both my parents are music buffs. Dad built speaker cabinets and used all that old school, big-ass equipment. Mom played the **** out of oldies. While both fell into the trap of not liking new music as they got older, they never stopped listening to music, and they'll still buy records on occasion.

Point: The desire for music doesn't exist in a vacuum, IMO.
  • My brain is picking and choosing what sounds I like. I'm not controlling it logically, and it's not like learned or conditioned behavior, such as being taught to say please and thank you. Ex: I was never told to get a song stuck in my head all day. It's a natural thing that happens.
  • If there is a lack of Eastern influences, it's more about a lack of exposure. "World music" was a thing later on, but on indie stations and whatnot. Never dug any of it.
  • I disagree that media content -- music, movies, art, video games, -- aren't related as far as stimulating the brain in the same or similar way(s).
  • The East/West thing is too black and white in regard to how music affects the brain (what people like), and it assumes that music is only made a certain way in each location.

"All over a bowl of bitter beans."
Aux-In is offline   Reply With Quote