Music Banter - View Single Post - Need help with reggae tracks please
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
sashadjuric
Groupie

Hey..thanks for the reply..

Well, that's a lot to take in, but if I were having a reggae all-nighter that started with a outdoor hot-plate special,
I'd start the late afternoon/early evening festivities with some rub-a-dub stylee while people are having their drinks and chatting.
When the party picks up (after dinner) and you want some dancing, then you segue more dancehall into the mix.
When you want people to "simmer down" and the late-night is getting closer to day, you start stirring in some
mystical roots sound and lovers rock with a few Virgin Front Line 70's style classics and that should ease it on into
the early dawn of a new day.

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely look this up when we're having the next BBQ.
What I was more after is that I'm doing a mixtape battle with my friend. The list of tracks listed was a joint shared number we both decided on, then we each separately choose their own additional tracks.
He has done a few mixtapes, while this is my 1st.
As an example, here's one of his mixtapes: www (dot) mixcrate (dot) com/milz10/milz10-presentstha-fantastic-voyage-9063171]Milz10 - Milz10 Presents...Tha Fantastic Voyage - Mixcrate[/url])

I want to do this type of blending mix. The part where I'm having difficulty is finding riddims that gel with the tracks I've chosen.
Eg:
3rd edit:
1. Intro
2. Carlton Livingston – Come one come all (chopped up sections not whole song)
3. Cocoa Tea – Sunset in Negril (blended in with backbeat of CL COCA)

The riddims gel, but CL-COCA's theme doesn't match with CT-SIN. Obviously I'm not going to get the same topics throughout the mixtape, but it's a bit of a jump from CL- basically a soundclash track, and CT- a song upping Negril and Jamaica.
Maybe I'm being too pedantic.

I might add: people aren't gonna be listening real hard to your mixes if it's a party vibe.
The tunes should be good, but that usually means that there'll be something catchy that'll
have people want to do what the music was intended to instill in them - it'll be automatic
if the tunes are good, but don't spend all that much time on flow. Just use some common sense
that doesn't necessarily pair two tunes that are jarringly different from the mood you're wanting to set.[/QUOTE]

In this case, people will. Though it's a friendly battle, I still want to make the best mixtape I can.
If you have a listen to the example, I like how my friend even makes the vocal cuts blend in with the theme of the next song. Eg: "so what we're gonna do today is....then song starts...get down on it".
Maybe I am overthinking it.
If possible, do you have any song matches for the artists/songs in the list just so I can pool as many tracks as possible, then start feeling out the vibe after grouping them by bpm and vibe.

Thanks heaps..
sashadjuric is offline   Reply With Quote