Music Banter - View Single Post - Eurovision 2016 Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 02:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
misspoptart
gimme gimme

Default Overrated as Hell

This year there are a few songs that I think are overrated as hell. I don't know why, year after year, the same drivel ends up capturing the fans' hearts early on. The typical dance ballad that could have been written by Selena Gomez or Devi Lovato is really far from what I personally like about Eurovision.

That said, the following songs have garnered a lot of support in the fandom and are even favored to score in the top 10. I hope the voters disagree.

Malta's song is far from bad. In fact, the first time I heard it, I was like.. hey, this could be a winner? And Malta has never won. They so desperately want to. To be honest I'll be happy if it does well, just stay out of the precious top spots please!

Meanwhile, Australia is back this year to fund the contest??? as a guest, and the fans are thrilled. We know that Australians love Eurovision and it's totally fine to include them in the show since they are a member of the broadcasting union that puts the show on to begin with. But this entry from Dami Im is underwhelming for me.

Regardless of my feelings, its projected for a top 5 win. I preferred Malta. The song has also churned up some controversy for the lyric, "trying to feel your love through face time," which sounds like "trying to feel your love through FaceTime," which would be a violation of contest rules, since lyrics cannot include brand names.

I don't mind Italy's song too much, and I super appreciate that it's in Italian (at least part of it us), but I can't understand why it's rising up the ranks in the odds. It's so mediocre. I'm the kind of person who likes something kind of uplifting for Eurovision and although the song is beautiful and she is quite pretty, I think the song itself falls flat.

Oddly, by the time she gets to the climax and starts singing in English, I kind of see its potential. Still, nowhere near the top 5 or top 10 for me.

Last and certainly least is Spain with "Say Yay" from Barei. I watched the national final in Spain and I was horrified that this won. It was an extremely boring performance with terrible backing singers, and something about her just irks me. I think it's her attitude. Or her voice.

Spain didn't have a great selection to choose from, that's true. And Spain usually comes in dead last or bottom 5. So I suppose if this is the song that digs them out of that hole of inevitable Eurovision fails, I'll just sit back and say, "hmm."

Coming up: some of the songs that are favored to win... that I actually like as well!
misspoptart is offline   Reply With Quote