Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2016, 08:23 AM   #349 (permalink)
Key

Let's change things up a little bit, let's talk about music. And no, not just any music...

I have to say before I start posting video and video of songs that I find rather enjoyable in indie games, there are a lot of fantastic composers out there that have made games for indie games, and I really feel like those composers have some serious talent, to the point that I have no problem calling them 'talented musicians'. It's an art and a talent to be able to make the music that these guys make, on top of making sure that the music fits the game just right, and it always does, so let's get started.

First up we have a song or two from a game I like to call "Dodgeball on drugs", or under it's true name:

Yes, Robot Roller Derby Disco Dodgeball has got such a killer soundtrack. And how can it not? We're talking about a game that not only comes with the ability to knock the **** out of your opponents with dodgeballs, but you've got strobe lights, people on wheels, and dodgeballs. And you know what kind of music they made for it, the perfect combination of techno, dubstep and electronica.

But just like any album, the entire album has some really strong tracks, and some that I don't really favor too much, not to say that the tracks that I don't favor much aren't great, but they're just not up my alley. But here are some of the tracks that are just fantastic:

Spoiler for youtube videos:

Now listen to those tracks right now and you tell me you don't feel the urge to get this game and start knocking the crap out of your opponents. You don't feel it? Well just look at this GIF to give you an idea of what to expect when you pick the game up:

Not convinced? Well, your loss. You're missing out on a great experience here.

Anyway, next up we have...

I've done an entry on Cryptark before, but I didn't mention much, or at all, about the soundtrack that goes along with the game. Now, what's the first thing you think about when you just hear the name Cryptark, without knowing what the game is about, the first thing I would think about is sci-fi, and if that's what you thought, you'd be correct. If you want to know more about the game, you can check out the entry I did, but just know that the soundtrack with it's sci-fi, mysterious feel, really adds to the atmosphere of the game, in short terms, it fits in perfectly. Especially considering this game came out of nowhere, the guys that made the soundtrack did a phenomenal job at just adding that little touch that makes the game so much fun.

Spoiler for youtube videos:

On top of that, this is a soundtrack that I could easily listen to while i'm out and I wouldn't even think twice about the fact that it's from a video game, but like I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I consider musicians for video game soundtracks to be legitimate musicians. So that's a given that I would listen to things like this regularly with my other music that I listen to.

The last soundtrack for this post that I would like to talk about is from a game that unfortunately has fallen on my backburner, but is still fantastic just for the feel that it adds to the game. And don't worry, there is more soundtrack magic coming, I'm just limiting these to 3 per post just so I don't overwhelm you with all this great music. So, what we have up is...

Yeah yeah yeah, another rogue like soundtrack. But honestly, I don't think this game would be nearly as immersive if not for this fantastic soundtrack. It's got so much depth and throughout the entire game, you get to different stages in it and the music just adds to how deep the game really is. Truly a remarkable job from the artist that made the soundtrack. There's a lot of talent in this and big kudos for making sure that it fits in with the game nicely.

I'm only adding this song because this is one of the first songs you hear in the game, and it just adds that extra depth and immersiveness and blood pumping sound that gets you sunk into the game right away.