Music Banter - View Single Post - Metal Album Survivor [1st Wave Black Metal Division]
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #2987 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Suicide Silence
Bring Me the Horizon.

I feel like Suicide Silence would have been a top-notch second-tier death metal band in the nineties, but as with most of those bands, they were merely excellent at aping bands with actual creativity. And since the "core" of deathcore is so limiting, then Suicide Silence are also limited by their self-imposed limitations. Don't get me wrong, if they'd tried becoming an actual death metal band, then I imagine they probably would have become just as boring as Job for a Cowboy did with their first full-length. But 25 years ago, they could have really been something above-mediocre.

And I would have kept BMtH on longer, but I kind of justified adding them because Suicide Season was the first of their albums to show any kind of growth, while also being the last album to be justified as deathcore. I now wish I had gone for their debut, which is complete ****, but a lot of fun if you can unhook your musical taste. Still, "It Was Written in Blood" is one of the best metalcore songs ever recorded, either by a **** or legitimately good band. Even a blind squirrel busts a nut once in a while.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote