Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #353 (permalink)
Key

Just a disclaimer: If you are a fan of Undertale and you enjoy the game for what it is, feel free to get offended as this post is going to be hating on the game exclusively. You can also hate on the fact that I haven't even bothered playing it, so add that to your belt of weaponry to use against me if you feel like defending yourself and defending the odd reputation that Undertale has received.

Anyway, now that that's out of the way, let's begin...

So, it's not every day that you find a game that everybody seems to enjoy and you can't seem to figure out exactly why. Undertale takes the cake when it comes to creating a humongous fanbase, as well as poisonous fanbase that other games have successfully done as well; Five Nights at Freddy's comes to mind. Now i'm sure you're already thinking, "Ki, just try it. You can't say you hate a game unless you give it a shot." Well...actually you can. Well, I can anyway. Gaming works the same way as music does. If you're not a fan of the genre it's set in or the game doesn't look appealing to you from the get go, why bother trying it? I understand the game is dirt cheap and it wouldn't even come close to breaking my wallet, but why take the risk? Undertale seems to have successfully brought a lot of people together in terms of allowing for conversation about the game and I also understand that the game may be great, you don't have to convince me of that, i'm sure the story is fantastic, but unfortunately, a great story isn't the only thing that makes a game fantastic and worth playing.

When I first heard about this game, it wasn't long until streamers, Youtubers, and everyone else had latched onto it like it was some sort of cist. To me, it looked like the game had come directly out of nowhere, and somehow, everybody and their mother were already playing it. Again though, just because everybody is playing the game, does that necessarily make the game worth playing? I'd say no. It just means people are latching onto the idea that the game may be great so they give it a shot for themselves to see if they have the same experience. I on the other hand am going the smart approach and i'm just dismissing it altogether. Is that the mature way to handle it? Well, probably not. But I don't really see a reason to spend time on a game that I already know i'm not going to enjoy. It's like listening to a country album full knowing that you hate country altogether. The experience wouldn't come close to being the same as it would be if you liked country to begin with. Same with this game.

Undertale to me just looks like a 1st grader decided to give game development a go. Graphically the game doesn't look appealing, and that's a big turn off for me, because I like a game to at least look appealing, even if the focus isn't directly on the graphics themselves. Anybody can draw what looks like an elementary school kid slapped together and put it into a game, so if whoever developed the game has some experience with this type of thing, why not go the extra mile and make the game at least look good. I've watched people play snippets of the game, and constantly i'm thinking to myself "really?" The game doesn't look good at all, and I feel like for me, it would take away from the experience that the game undoubtedly brings to the table. However, I give the developer credit for somehow getting everybody to play it, I imagine they're swimming in their own cash stacks at this point. My other point goes along with what I said about the Five Nights at Freddy's games a while back, the fanbase. The fanbase that Undertale has brought to the table is not only immaturity at it's finest, but it's also poisonous. I'd love to see anybody who is a part of that fanbase come to this post and try their hardest not to talk **** about me as a person. That is undoubtedly what happens when someone who is a fan of Undertale watches somebody who has never played it. They'll get super heated and uptight and they'll try to make the person playing the game play the game the way they want it to play because apparently, "there's only one good way to play it." From what i've heard, you can play the game in different ways, so I don't really see the reason for people to get heated in the first place, but...again, that's what a poisonous fanbase does. They just try to get everybody else to feel bad and 'rule supreme' over the internet. Well, more power to you. It still won't get me to play the game.

I mean honestly...this game doesn't look appealing to me, at all. If it does to you, that's great, but please tell me why.

Besides all that, the game just doesn't look like the kind of game I would enjoy. I mean, I get it, the 2D RPG style adventure genre is coming back in full swing with other indie games doing it really well, so it's understandable that somebody would want to get in on that and try it for themselves, but unlike those other games, this game just doesn't look like it has any redeeming qualities attached to it, and somewhere down the line, I'd tell myself "i'm wasting my time." Granted, i'm already at that point, so...there's that.

I give praise to the developer though in some sense because they obviously knew who they were trying to cater to. The game has done successful in terms of sales and creating a fanbase, but at what cost? Do you really want to be the guy that's known for making a game that isn't exactly the game it should be? I certainly wouldn't want that burden, but I didn't make Undertale, so that's not really my concern. Just like the developer for Five Nights at Freddy's though, i'm sure this developer is going to use whatever resources he can to ensure that Undertale gets the most money out of it. That's all I really see it as is a money grabber.