Music Banter - View Single Post - Why is new/modern music so much louder?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 10:22 PM   #35 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm annoyed by the same thing about low volume, so the Loudness Wars doesn't bother ME at least, but a lot of people who listen to pre-Loudness Wars music get really bitchy about that ****, and use it as an excuse to complain about new music the same way that they would otherwise. Just like if they were going to complain that pop music today just isn't as good as it was in the sixties, cause the Beatles invented good music and nobody else could replicate the idea of music that isn't bad. Except they cloak that snobbery by talking about the Loudness Wars.
I don't know if that is true.

The Beatles had their place in music history and I am not going to bash them or their fans for the sake of bashing them. Most of what The Beatles recorded on was (what Sir George Martin called) a three head tape console. Even Sgt Pepper was recorded on that, which might seem primitive by today standards. However they made best for what they had and really pushed the envelope in the recording studio for the technology they had at the time.

I've seen people pan The Beatles for having a lo-fi sound, and that is a reason they can't get into them. So the argument goes both ways. But that's not the only problem (old versus new recording technology) it also has to do with how songs back thend are arranged and the instrumentation used. I mean if you are going to talk about why one group of music fans that doesn't 't like "new" music. Loudness wars is just icining on the cake. Or vice a Versace eg. "The Beatles stinks ... btw their lo-fi records sound terrible!"

I see the "loudness wars" no different than how newer movies have less dialogue and are spammed with a **** ton of cgi. It's what corporate think the masses want so they are going to give it them, whether they like it or not.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote