Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 08:01 PM   #535 (permalink)
MusicNewb1981
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Still doesn't counteract a misrepresentative sample of modern music. If you compare 50 songs from 1950 to 10 songs from 2010, your study is flawed.
OK, you don't agree with the methodology and you have a valid concern about sampling bias. I'll post right away another study that shows that no.1 singles written recently are written at the third grade level. I can't post links yet but there are a few sources discussing that the average lyrics for hits are at third grade level. I would post a link, but I can't yet. A google search of

Study lyrics at third grade level

Will find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
If it wasn't appealing to most people, it wouldn't be popular...
To me, both studies combine show an accurate picture of current music. Now, I don't think it's because people are dumber but, but, but it seems the record company is marketing to children--not fickle teens, or curmudgeon young adults, but children. Children are probably the most reliable income stream out there and, and they are not as picky as adults. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of avid listeners are in or about the third grade with their parents listening along.

Just the other day a neighbor of mine was blasting Taylor Swifts, "Shake it off." The thought occurred to me, "wait, this is a children's song." Everything about it sounded like some motivational song for kids. The music is catchy, it sounds nice, but it is in fact a children's song...

But, but, but my neighbor didn't pay for the song, he had his Spotify account attached to his speakers through his Ipad. Were this the eighties and music wasn't essentially free, I'm not certain how many adults would plop down $12.00 - $14.00 for the tape or CD.

Again, out here in Southern California where I live, I don't meet too many Pop or mainstream music listeners. They exist for sure, in America and abroad (where they probably don't know what the lyrics are saying anyway). But it's kind of like trying to find Kardashian fans, I've never met one and they seem to get quite a bit of hate on Facebook...so, whoever these people are they are just the easy money (kids, parents of kids...etc...)
MusicNewb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote