Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2016, 10:34 AM   #557 (permalink)
MusicNewb1981
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
I often wonder what music people who complain about "the mainstream" think should replace it. What is "intellectual" music - or music for those that aren't radio-listening baby children?

I have seen that study on the "dumbing down" of pop music, but I believe it was only referencing the last ~10 years. Would be curious to see how they compare to the 60s-70s. I can't imagine The Beatles or Rolling Stones are writing lyrics at an English Language PhD level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyy View Post
In my experience, the people who complain that mainstream music should be "smarter" are the same ones who get angry when they hear an artist they like on the radio.
It's not about smarter, it's about production value and musicality. The Beatles and Stones wrote quite a bit about society especially religion and their music was erotic. Go onto a Beatles forum and they talk about it quite a bit. They did it in a relatable and subtle way. Ah, who cares if you don't get it...you will never get it.
MusicNewb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote