Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #361 (permalink)
Key

First off, before I start here, I do have to say that although I have not played the game myself, I have watched a lot of content that would give me the next best experience at knowing what the game is capable of and knowing most of the key features that go into the game. Don't worry though, I will in time give this game my time, but I do want to do a first impressions on it, just don't feel like paying for the game right now as I just bought a game that I'm going to be doing another entry on in a few days. So, now that that's out of the way, let's get to the game.

Enter The Gungeon follows a man with a gun, that's pretty much standard procedure, given the nature of the games title. The game is a roguelike/floor-by-floor style game, much like Binding of Isaac and Nuclear Throne, and considering those two games are some of the big influences for this game, you'd not be surprised to see a lot of similarities between the three games. Although the game does take a lot of influence from those games, it still has it's own unique traits that seem to make the game enjoyable. The guns are exceptionally well designed, and nothing feels the same as you go from run to run. The boss fights are difficult but not too difficult where it feels impossible. I did mention this in the post before this about the bosses, but i'll say it again. The bosses are beautifully designed and use a lot of "gun puns" that just add to the overall good feel that this game has to offer. Although I have not played the game myself, I can say that the controls seem to work really well whether you play with a keyboard or a controller, however I've always gone the keyboard and mouse route for these sort of games, just a more comfortable feel to me.

Graphically, the game looks fantastic. I'd say that it does take a lot of influence from Nuclear Throne more than Binding of Isaac, though Binding of Isaac is in it's own category of it's own. It's not at all a bad thing to take heavy influences from other games either, so I don't want to feel like i'm constantly saying this game feels like other games. It's a roguelike, so there's not much you can do that would shift away from those similarities, however they were good choices to be influenced from. But yes, the game looks fantastic, and it's really got it's own "i'm stuck in a gungeon" feel to it that adds that little unique twist to the game, and allows for an overall great experience.

Certainly a good choice to go with if you're interested in the roguelike genre as a whole, you can't really go wrong with the other two I mentioned as well, but this one has certainly made it's mark to be within the realms of "fantasticness" alongside the other two mentioned.