Music Banter - View Single Post - Radiohead - Hail to the Thief
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

Default Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

This was the last Radiohead album I needed to hear before I could say I've heard all the studio albums. I'm listening to it so I can compare the new Moon Shaped Pool.

Let's break down Radiohead's discography a little, leading up to Hail to the Thief. They started out as your average everyday alternative rock band attempting to get in with their alternative and grunge scenes. With the light-hearted The Bends, they began making a name for themselves. OK Computer was a huge hit, and Radiohead had been leaning towards more "art rock" influences while experimenting with total production, and greatly opening up Thom's vocal talents. This gave way to the production heavy, art rock/electronic Kid A, which takes a hundred listens to fully understand. After the heavily experimental Kid A, Radiohead enjoyed more success as one of the "greatest bands ever" with Amnesiac, which heavily followed in Kid A's style but took less time to understand as it was less production and experimentation based.

Hail to the Thief takes a little from everything they've done so far, but is in its own way different. How so? Every Radiohead album is a new experience. Whereas, Hail to the Thief seems more focused on constructing songs fit for the radio while fans get a serious taste of nostalgia on every turn, no matter how heavy or light the influence from Radiohead's past albums might have been. There's a little of that Electronic Kid A in there, a lot of the lightheartedness of OK Computer combined with the bleak but soothing vibes of Amnesiac. Backsliding is a very good example of the way they keep their experimental influences but remain conventional in terms of song structure. In fact, they still retain the alternative sound from their first three albums, still making the album relatable.

I would not say Hail to the Thief is one of there absolute best, but it's completely worth it for any Radiohead fan. It's like a look into the past of Radiohead, and how the past made them so great and how they use those experiences to teach new albums old tricks for the better.

9/10