Music Banter - View Single Post - Acoustic or Bass Guitar?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

If you have already own a guitar then get a bass, but stick with the guitar, learning as much as possible. If you start off with the guitar picking up bass becomes a little easier. It helps when you are jamming with band and the guitar player wants to do songs you don't know yet. You would know what chords the guitar playing is playing, even in open position, and follow what he is doing without him yelling the chords to you - you can fake your way through a song no problem.

As with any instrument there is a never ending learning curve, where you find out there is more and more to learn. So it takes some time to understand if it is the right choice for you. In the end you should choose the instrument that interest you the most and the one you get the most enjoyment from playing it. That will encourage you to become a better musician.

I'm not saying it is the one to buy, but I played a Sterling by Music Man which hoovers around $299 and I thought that bass had exceptional action for its price range. But that could be just that one particular bass, maybe the way it was set up. I thought that particular bass was better than basses two to four times the price. In all honesty you really have to play the instrument to see how well it feels playing it before you buy it.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 05-16-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote