Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 50 from 2005
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Jack_Davey
I'm not the one watching MTV, believe me. I have a nine-year-old. Her taste in music is mainstream pop-punk (Simple Plan, Bowling For Soup) nothing I seem to make her listen to helps. Who cares what her 'ol man thinks when her friends are all watching Total Request Live.

Anyway, I like the Darkness because it's a kick in the ass from the past. I don't see many other bands making good 80s arena-rock anymore, and I've always been a fan of Queen, Justin Hawkins reminds me much of Freddie Mercury. Babyshambles I can't really explain, I hated the Libertines but have this certain respect for Pete Doherty, sober or not. I think "La Belle et la Bête" is a cool and original song. Speaking of Babyshambes, my top albums of 2005:

White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan

It's not what you expect from the Stripes, which is the reason why it is so great. I remember when Bob Dylan (my fave) made the switch from acoustic to electric, and the majority booed Dylan and called his electric music crap. But Dylan knew what he was doing. Just like Jack White. Jack didn't rip out another dozen electric riffs, he used his incredible songwriting skills and ability to play piano, marimba, mandolin, and acoustic. The record is truly amazing.

Babyshambles - Down In Albion

I'm not from England, but I've always had the appreciation for bands like The Ramones & The Sex Pistols. Down In Albion SCREAMS Pistols to me, and alot of the songs are very catchy and well-written.

Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

While I disagree with the Dylan comparisons, Coner Oberst is still a terrific songwriter.

Stephen Fretwell - Magpie

Another shining songwriter. The lyrics are very good, and the album is stripped down to simply Stephen and his guitar.

Darkness - One Way Ticket To Hell And Back

Okay, so it's not close to as good as Permission To Land, but it still differs from most of the other rock out there. And any rock with ripping guitar solos sits well with me.

Weezer, System of A Down, and Broken Social Scene were my disappointments.
i'm sorry, i must focus on one thing only, babyshambles, an absolutely horrible band, fuck forever is such a terrible song i can't for the life of me understand why it gets so much airplay. i never much fancied the libertines, but compared to babyshambles they're fucking awsome....
on topic, albums i really liked in 2005:
coldplay - x&y
clor - clor
bloc party - silent alarm
franz ferdinand - you could have it so much better
sufjan stevens - come on feel the illinoise
antony and the johnsons - i am a bird now
lcd soundsystem
hot hot heat - elevator
sigur ros - takk
the chemical brothers - push the button
aqueduct - i sold gold