Music Banter - View Single Post - Internet censorship and the death of free speech.
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 11:41 AM   #172 (permalink)
DeadChannel
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
I said if it's a a business rooted in the US you should obey the laws or the land, if you don't like them move your domain to another country.
But the laws of the land don't say anything about private businesses giving the same treatment to their customers as the government is expected to give to its citizens. Actually, taken to its logical conclusion, this idea is pretty silly.

If I own a music venue (because this is music banter, yo), and a neo-nazi group asks if they can play at my venue, it's totally within my rights to refuse them. Now, obviously this isn't a free speech thing.

If not providing a platform was tantamount to censorship, then every view and opinion ought to be on national television 24/7 because not providing the platform is taking away their free speech. This is silly and impractical and maybe just a little bit stupid. Freedom of speech prevents the government, and to a certain extent other people, from coercing you into shutting up. No one has any obligation to listen to you.

But further, you act like someone criticizing your ideas or (gasp!) telling you to shut up is also an infringement of free speech. This is even more asinine. Now, as long as I don't take physically violent action against you, I also totally have free speech to tell you you're wrong or tell you to shut up. People calling others out on being *******s is not an infringement of free speech.

Finally, I wouldn't fetishize the early history of America to such an extent. Just because the founding fathers held certain views doesn't make those views accurate. Some of them were pretty major-league dickwads.

Also, please stop with the caps lock. It's really getting on my ****ing nerves (although, keep in mind it's totally within your rights to ignore me. But please, please, stop).
DeadChannel is offline   Reply With Quote