Music Banter - View Single Post - Prince - Purple Rain
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

Default Prince - Purple Rain

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called life...

Style: Pop Rock, Funk Rock
Release: 1984
Length: 44 min.

Prince, a worthy and skillful rival to Michael Jackson in the realm of pop, released a film in 1984, and one of the most famous soundtracks in the world. Purple Rain is a great blend of pop rock and funk, synthesing its way through any crazy rhythm Prince puts out. And yes, the album is quite crazy. Unnecessarily synthesized voice-acting finds its way into most of the tracks and intros. A very energetic personality fills the romantic lyrics that only the pleasantly cheesy 80's could bring.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, zip it and watch some 80's dance movie like Dirty Dancing.

Unfortunately, some of the songwriting needs redoing. The album is great thanks to its playful synths, but rarely any song on the album coms close to the quality of the famed opening track, Let's Go Crazy. We do get to start off side B with When Doves Cry, a drum-heavy, simple, easy flowing but rough kind of song. Despite the lack of uniqueness in many songs, many may find something to greatly enjoy about the album because this album is about sheer energy. Everything in the album is energetic and likeable, even if it's flawed. The ending, title track, ie quite beautiful. The soft, romantic, and soothing synths have so much soul to it that it overpowers alost any flaw.

Prince was quite the entertainer, and Purple Rain is his opus that will live on forever. If all other Prince albums are lost in time, Purple Rain is a name that will be remembered. And rightfully so. This is one of the most eccentric albums I know. Well, off to find me more synth funk!

92/100 Not sure about the vote.