Music Banter - View Single Post - College Campuses - A War on Free-Speech and Diversity of Opinion?
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 04:08 AM   #221 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I really don't see people use it in the same sense as they would as other ideologies say like capitalism, communism or what have you. Though I do a gree with you that Political correctness has evolved. And it seems it has taken on a life of its own.

Words evolve and just like any other word the connotation of "political correctness" has changed too. It might have started out as in-joke on the left "Not very 'politically correct', Comrade!"* (which is one possible explanation for the modern usage.) And the rights in-joke was to take the lefts in-joke and beat them over the head with it.

Judging by the way it is used now it seems more of a means of an ideology to control speech and behaviour more so than a type of ideology. Taken to extremes PC is a type of censorship. In cases where the speaker intend to mean no harm, yet an offense is taken, it is used as a way of calling people out for "thought crimes."

*Political correctness
Yes, the meanings of terms can change over time, but I think in the case of "politically correct" it's an example of a term simply losing meaning and becoming nonsensical, sort of like the current state of affairs with the word "literally".
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote