Music Banter - View Single Post - Think you know Willie Nelson? Think again.
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Silhouette
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy-Fi View Post
I saw Asleep at the Wheel around 10 or so years ago. I was hoping for a chance to see Merle at least once but it didn't happen, unfortunately

I got to see Johnny a couple of times in the 90's and he was incredible! He played a good mix of the old and new (at the time) songs both times I saw him. I think his later songs and albums are just as good as his earlier music. I also got to see the debut of his video for "Hurt" the song he covered by Nine Inch Nails. It premiered in a packed club in Austin Texas during the SXSW festival and everyone in the place was dead silent while the video played and then burst into applause when it finished. Probably the most emotionally powerful music video I've ever seen.

The Story Behind 'Hurt'
Oh wow what a lucky dog, I would have loved to have seen Johnny Cash. He had a good friend named Bill Patch that lived close to some of my family in Oklahoma, and through acquaintances my grandpas best friend got in on building/welding on the 'One Piece At A Time Car' for Johnny Cash. So pretty much all the older people in my family have met him except me since this all happened before my time.

And great song, I didn't know the story behind it, so interesting, thanks!