Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #16650 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Catcher in the Rye is famous because it was the first to capture dumb ass whiny teen voice.

To Kill a Mockingbird is famous because it was the first old lady book where nothing that's actually deep gets discussed and the plot is easy to follow and some of the characters are different from one another (one of them might even be a static character if you're lucky).

I'm sorry for anyone who has to read either.
Apply this to that...

Quote:
whatever themes the book was trying to get across were lost on me, since the story goes nowhere, and is so boring that I'm not sure why the author felt compelled to write it.
Like, I don't even relate to the character, even though I read the book when I was around the same age. I remember some review talking about how the book was no longer relevant, because all of the main character's cynical revelations were old hat to modern youths, and that's pretty ****ing true. Like I said, I was around the same age as the protagonist when I read the book, and I just kept thinking, "This only JUST occurred to you? You're not too bright, huh?" No matter how good the book might have been, in 2016 it is dated as ****.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote