Music Banter - View Single Post - My Exploration into 2016
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

Vertice by Paramo
Release: April 12, 2016
Style: Grungegaze, Post-Rock
Length: 40 min.

Now what is "grungegaze?" Simple enough. Grunge and shoegaze. But, the grungegaze tags are usually very easily given on Bandcamp.com, which leads a lot of "grungegaze" to be alternative or post-punk albums that only use a tag to sound "diverse" before the person who sees them plays the album. This, along with the unpopularity makes a lot of grungegaze hard to find.

Apparently, there's a lot of great grunge in Argentina. Buenos Aires band Paramo (not to be confused with the Rio Negro Argentina band Paramo), stays true to that sound. This album seems to follow that real sound of grungegaze most of the time. There is alternative and post-rock influence (as well as Slint), but I think it does an excellent job at using both grunge and shoegaze to compliment the dark atmosphere of the album. I also love the way the album is layed out. It starts out with a long instrumental intro to their style, called ProcesiĆ³n. Then the album continiues with shorter songs. These songs will be about 3 to nearly 7 minutes long. And then a track of two conjoining songs, one an instrumental, finishes off the album. All throughout, ther album has a very sad, very emotional tone that perfectly fits. Obviously, the band has great skill in emotion. The only large flaw that the album has is that the vocals can occasionally be hard to hear.

I think Paramo should be heard throughout grunge communities. I think they shed a little light on the ever-so-small grungegaze fad, and is easily one of the most atmospheric and talented bands of the 2010's. I'd reommend it for fans of grunge, fans of atmoshpere, those looking for something to cry to, something to cry with, or even Slint fans.

Last edited by JGuy Grungeman; 06-08-2016 at 12:01 PM.
JGuy Grungeman is offline   Reply With Quote