Music Banter - View Single Post - Kedvesem and her LPUC scale
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 06:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kedvesem
I like what I like

Tonight my darling Sir set aside his music just so I could choose what I wanted to listen to, and I did not even have to think about it.

I chose to listen to Angus and Julia Stone. We listened to three of their albums in a row.

These albums were: Angus and Julia Stone

A Book Like This

Down the Way

Now, obviously since I used the chance to choose the music for the evening on listening these albums, they definitely rate an L on the LPUC scale.

Why?

Because of songs like For You and Heart Beats Slow.

Because their understated, folky sound carries their melodies as the wind carries the clouds.

When I listen to Angus and Julia Stone sing, I hear descriptions of love and passion such as I can recognize for truth.

When Julia is singing in For You about the feeling of a woman who wants her man to be the star of her universe, who wants to keep him there in disregard for all the world, I can understand her, and she clearly understands what she is singing.

When they are both singing in Heart Beats Slow about the way one lover looks at another and knows the crushing humility of love, knows that there is no way to deserve the peerless beloved and yet no way not to desire the beloved--the truth of what they sing can take my breath and bring tears to my eyes--and I never cry at media, whether music or movies or books.

When I hear them singing in Don't Take My Word For It, I hear the love that is more than romantic love, the love that is more than purely Eros, singing proudly. The love that is close as blood--or closer--and yet one of desire. And my heart leaps up in response, for this, this is something I know.

I do not depend on any other artist to express my own heart's fullness. I will do that myself, thank you very much. But when I hear something that I know and hear it so perfectly expressed, it brings me a unique joy.

So one of the great pleasures of my life is listening to Angus and Julia Stone singing of love and friendship and kinship.
Kedvesem is offline   Reply With Quote